Give Me One Soul Today


by Tom Wacaster



In the early years of my preaching I filed most of my material in folders with subject labels attached to each one, and then placed them in a file cabinet in alphabetical order.  With the coming of the computer age most of my filing is entered into my database filing system, providing the location of what I have read, quotes, illustrations, and so forth.  The advantages of the computer over simplified paper filing is the subject for another time.   In the mid 80’s my son encouraged me to start learning to use computers.  My response at that time was, “Computers are just not practical for preachers.”  I have eaten those words many times.   But I digress, so let me get back to the subject at hand. 



I determined late last year that in this new year (2014) I would focus on evangelism, personal work, the lost, et al. so as to help all of us become more “soul conscious.”  I have two file folders that address this subject matter.  One of these is labeled “Evangelism,” the other “Personal Work.”  When I lay these flat on my desk one on top of the other the stack would be almost three inches tall.   In addition to preaching on evangelism and personal work this year, I thought it might be good to provide our readers with some printed material along that line.   To stir my thinking on this brisk, cold early March morning, I thumbed through the mountain of material I have on the subject.  I noticed as I flipped through, that not only have I filed away numerous articles on personal work and evangelism, but that through the years I have preached some two dozen sermons on the subject (and some of those more than once).  The bulletins that come through the mail and cross my desk quite frequently touch on the great need to reach the lost.  Workshops, gospel meetings, cottage classes, new books, tracts, etc. are all geared toward saving souls.  And so it seems to me that our realization of the need for evangelism is very acute.  We know people are lost without Christ.  We know that the gospel is the power of God unto salvation.  We know that if men are to be won to Christ it will take our efforts and united talents.  There seems to be the deep longing within every congregation I have worked with to “do something.”  People are just not satisfied with “keeping house.”  This is as it should be.



The slow numerical growth among churches of Christ over the last half century is disheartening.  The problem is not methodology. The open Bible studies, film strips, video tapes, correspondence courses, etc. have been proven to be very effective tools for teaching the lost.  Each individual must adapt whatever method might best suit his teaching abilities. Obviously, I have one particular tool which I consider most effective, but I am not shackled to that one method of teaching.  Whatever tool you might use, just make sure that it meets the need in the most effective way.  



Now the question: With the desire to see the church grow, and the abundance of methods of personal work and the tools at our disposal, why are we not baptizing more souls into Christ?  Those who have done research tell us that the last couple of decades has seen a decline in effective personal evangelism on the local level.  According to statistics, it takes 100 members of the Lord's church to reach one soul for Christ in one year.  This does not include our own children.  Thus, on the average, a congregation of 200 can only expect to baptize 2 people in one year's time.   We have the tools, the awareness of the lost-ness of humanity, and the desire to see the body grow.   Where, then, lies the deficiency?  To excuse the lack of growth on the disinterest of those around us is not an adequate answer.  It may contribute to the problem, but it is not the soul cause of the downturn in numerical growth.  I think the problem lies in our conviction.  The early church, though driven from their homes, their cities, and even their families, still “went everywhere preaching the word” (Acts 8:1-4).  Perhaps our greatest problem is to be found in the “things” that surround us.  It might be that we have developed a “come-and-get-it” mentality, and think that if we preach the truth, hold to the pattern of sound doctrine, and keep our own house in order that folks will flock to the building for teaching.  Or it could be that we are comfortable in a “non-confrontational” setting.  “Don't make waves!”   Maybe what we need is another great persecution to scatter us abroad!   One thing I know for sure.  The words of that popular song ought to be on our lips and in our hearts: “Lead me to some soul today, oh teach me Lord just what to say!  Friends of mine are lost in sin, and cannot find their way.  Few there are who seem to care; few there are who pray.  Melt my heart and fill my life. Give me one soul today!”