Thirty-Eight Years of "Tom's Pen"

by Tom Wacaster

As best I can tell, the first time I used the title “Tom’s Pen” as a heading to my bulletin articles was on September 19, 1976. I had just accepted the work as the pulpit minister at the Southwest congregation in Ada, Oklahoma. This does not mean this was the first bulletin article I ever wrote; it only means that this was the first time I would use the title which would become my trademark [if I might use that phrase].

My first work was in Tupelo, Oklahoma, and as was expected of the local preacher, part of my responsibility was to crank out a bulletin every week using an old A.B. Dick mimeograph machine. Compared to today’s modern technology, we lived in the age of dinosaurs back then. I had to use a manual typewriter to type out my original article. Then after checking for all the typographical errors, I would have to re-type the same bulletin, making sure I got all the errors corrected; and once again I would proof read and check for errors. When I was completely satisfied with the proof, I would then put a mimeograph stencil in the typewriter, and commence the arduous task of duplicating what I had on paper. Once the stencil was made, I would put that on the drum of the machine, ink up the well, and commence to hand crank the paper through the feeder; and that was just one side. The same process was repeated to complete page two. Of course we only printed about 60 or 70 copies of the bulletin, but that process took every bit of a half day’s work, and sometimes a full day. My how times have changed.

When I first moved to Ada I was introduced to off-set printing. Though somewhat more efficient, the process still involved photographing a copy of our final product, and burning it to a metal stencil that would then be placed on the drum of the off-set. The paper feeding was automatic, so the total time for writing, typing, burning and printing a bulletin was dramatically reduced. Still, it took the better part of a half day to complete the process. Today we have computers, copy machines, and the capability of typing the bulletin and sending it directly to the printer from the computer. We even have the ability to send that bulletin, via the internet, to countless thousands of people in all parts of the world. Indeed, how times have changed.

That first “Tom’s Pen” consisted of some comments on the congregation, with encouragement to the membership to be faithful and stay involved. Since that time, my articles have evolved into more than just an additional supplement to the regular church news. In fact, just two weeks later I wrote my first full article under the heading of “Tom’s Pen.” Here is a reproduction of that article, after which I will make some comments:

From Tom’s Pen: It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant and unconcerned people are toward the Bible and its authority. This past week [September 19, 1976] I had the opportunity to help in the “Bible I.Q.” booth at the county fair. A display board was set up to invite people to “test your Bible I.Q.” Various questions were asked and the participant would choose one of three answers, only one of the three being correct. If the correct answer was chosen, the scripture would light up on the board. Several interesting comments were made by passers-by. “That’s the church of Christ answer,” was one remark when they saw the answer to the frequency of the Lord’s Supper. Or, “They don’t know what they are talking about” in regard to baptism for the remission of sins. I asked one lady if she had any questions about the display and she simply said, “Your answers are not true according to what I believe.” But the saddest remark I heard came from a middle aged woman: “I don’t care what that says” (making reference to the scripture that lit up), “it’s what I believe that counts.” It would seem that a large majority of our society simply doesn’t care what the Bible says. And yet Paul said, “All scripture is inspired of God and is profitable for teaching; for reproof, for correction, for instruction which is in righteousness: that the man of God may be complete, furnished completely unto every good work” (2 Tim. 3:16-17). Peter said, “But sanctify in your hearts Christ as Lord; being ready always to give answer to every man that asketh you a reason for the hope that is in you, yet with meekness and fear” (1 Pet. 3:15). But behind every cloud there is a silver lining. Two interested souls listened and agreed to study the Bible at a later date; two out of so many. “Wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many are they that enter in thereby. For narrow is the gate, and straitened the way, that leadeth to life, and few are they that find it” (Matt. 7:13-14).

Tom Wacaster
9-26-76


This September will mark 38 years of “Tom’s Pen.” I have often thought I would collect all of these articles, put them in a book, and trace my preaching career using these, and other comments, to write somewhat of a biography of my life. Over those 38 years I have learned a number of lessons, many of which have been reflected in my “Tom’s Pen.” Here are just a few of those observations:

First, I have learned that people are still the same 38 years after I wrote that first article. The reason is, people don’t change. Solomon correctly observed that there is nothing new under the sun. When it comes to interest in the scriptures, a study of the Bible, or a close examination of one’s spiritual condition, the majority are as oblivious to the truth and unconcerned about the word of God as they were almost four decades ago.

Second, I have learned that there is power in the written word. While living in Ada I had occasion to attend East Central University. On one occasion a new class was commencing, the roll was being called, and upon my name being called, the gentleman next to me said in a somewhat urgent voice, “I need to talk to you after class.” It turns out that he was the new pastor of a denomination in town and was likewise trying to improve his education. After class he told me that he has known of me for a number of years. It seems that an article I wrote came into his hands in the town where he previously preached, and he was so impressed that he ran it in his church bulletin; a denominational church bulletin at that! Shortly after moving to Ada, he decided to run that same article in their bulletin there in Ada. When he handed it to his secretary she asked him if he was acquainted with me. He was shocked to learn that I actually lived in Ada. He was even more shocked when it happened my lot to sit next to him in our class at East Central University. He and I had conversations over the course of that class, but it never led to any real serious study. What I learned from that encounter, however, is that the written word of God can and will go to many places we ourselves may never go.

Finally, I have learned after more than 38 years of “Tom’s Pen” that there is great power in the written word to express ideas. Words mean something, and carefully chosen words can do much good. I find it extremely significant that our God has chosen to communicate His will through written words (cf. John 20:301-31, Eph. 3:3-5). Benjamin Franklin once said, “Give me twenty-six little lead soldiers [i.e. the alphabet in a printer’s case] and I will conquer the world.” Silence the written word of God and you will plunge the word into chaos. Daniel Webster recognized this and penned the following more than two centuries ago: “If religious books are not widely circulated among the masses in this country, I do not know what is going to become of us as a nation. If truth be not diffused, error will be...If the power of the Gospel is not felt throughout the length and breadth of the land, anarchy and misrule, degradation and misery, corruption and darkness will reign without mitigation or end.”

I plan to continue “Tom’s Pen” as long as God sees fit to use me in that capacity. My prayer and aim is that it will help some lost soul to come to the light of God’s word, and ultimately to heaven where I shall forever lay down my pen and rest from my labors for the endless ages.