Passing By Graceland

by Tom Wacaster

Highway 51 once served as the major thoroughfare from Memphis, Tennessee to the quite community of Southaven, Mississippi.  Prior to the building of the massive Interstate Highway system, that little country road leading from Memphis into Mississippi was occupied by small town travelers, truckers, and farmers taking their goods to market in Memphis.  In the late 1950's that little highway gained a considerable degree of notoriety when Elvis Presley purchased and occupied Graceland, where he lived until his death on August 16, 1977.  I am not an Elvis fan, nor have I ever had the desire to visit Graceland.  But this past week I had the opportunity to drive past Graceland Mansion on my way to Southaven, Mississippi to attend the Power Lectures.  Rather than take I-55 loop around the south side of Memphis, and on south into Mississippi, I exited at Highway 51 and made the turn south that would take me past Graceland. 

In one more week Memphis will celebrate "Elvis Week," but loyal fans have already started to gather, and the sidewalks in front of Graceland Mansion were literally filled with tourists and sight seers.   Off in the distance I could see the "Lisa Marie," Elvis' private jet. The rooftop of the Mansion was visible, and here and there you could catch a glimpse of the well manicured lawn.  There was a convertible pink Cadillac on display near the highway.  Motels displayed their never-ending loyalty on their curb side marquee: "The King still lives," and "Forever dedicated to his memory."  Placards were displayed by loyal fans, "I love Elvis"; "Elvis still lives"; "Elvis, we will always love you."  Not too far distant from Graceland estate one can check into "Heart Break Hotel," or browse the souvenir shops that are found on what is now known as Elvis Presley Boulevard. 

Fans and fanatics can be seen perusing the shops, or standing in line to purchase a ticket to Graceland.  Elvis-look-alikes wander up and down the sidewalks, seeking to imitate "the King," not only in their dress, but in their hair style and mannerisms - seeking to walk as he walked, and no doubt to talk as he talked.   I managed to maneuver the traffic, and eventually cross the state line into Mississippi for the short two or three mile drive to the church building in Southaven.  That may very well be the closest I ever come to Graceland.  But passing by Graceland I was made to think.

First, Elvis Presley would trade all that was on display at Graceland for one more opportunity to hear and obey God's word.  Though "the king" occasionally paid lip service to the King of kings, the life of the rich and famous rock star was not a life of the righteous, and his neglected opportunities finally caught up with him on that summer day in 1977.  At his death his private jet served him no purpose as he made his flight into eternity.  His millions of fans could not go with him through the valley of the shadow of death.  His cash and costumes were all left behind, and never again would he walk the halls of Graceland Mansion. It is comforting to know that when it comes my time to walk the path of all men that I will have a Shepherd Who will go with me through the valley of the shadow of death (Psa 23:4).  I am confident that when it comes time for me to pass to that hadean realm that I will have no regrets for how I have lived my life; no desire for another chance.  There are untold millions who have passed beyond the boundary of life and, like the rich man in torments, wish they could go back and live life again.  I suspect "the king" will be among that number.    

Second, greatness is not measured in terms of the earthly.  Someone pointed out that Elvis Presley is the typical American success story.  In a few brief years he rose from poverty to riches; from obscurity to fame; from a life of simplicity to a life of stardom.  By human standards, Mr. Presley was truly successful.  But success cannot be measured in dollars and cents.  Personally, I have no desire to give up my peace of mind for popularity and the pressing crowds seeking to get a glimpse at your face, or a piece of your clothing.   What I saw of Graceland Mansion was impressive, and the gold platinum records and rewards that fill the late Elvis Presley's trophy room would likely draw rapt attention from those who tour the grounds of Graceland Mansion.   Many folks desire the same kind of "greatness" that Elvis acquired in his lifetime; far less ever attain unto it.  The saint, on the other hand, aspires for greatness in the sight of God. Their one desire is to hear their Master say, "Well done, good and faithful servant" (Matthew 25:21).  That will be true greatness.

Third, it is utterly amazing the degree to which some of Elvis fans will go to pay tribute to their "king."  One web site pointed out that an annual procession through the estate and past Elvis' grave is held on the anniversary of his death each year. The largest gathering assembled on the 25th anniversary in 2002. One estimate was that 40,000 people were in attendance, despite the heavy rain.  But the extent of fanatical fan loyalty is captured in those handfuls of men (and even women) who seek to imitate the man's every action.  Elvis-look-alikes attempt to dress like Elvis dressed, to speak with the same accent and pronunciation of words.  To all such fans, the essence of life is summed up in the one goal in life - to be as much like Elvis Presley as is humanly possible.  I have no desire to imitate "the king" of rock and roll.  But I do have a burning desire to imitate my Lord, to "have this mind that was in Christ Jesus" (Phil. 2:5 ff), to follow in His steps (1 Peter 2:21), to love as He loved, think as He thought, and act as He acted.

Finally, as I watched Graceland fade from view in my rear view mirror I thought, "How different is MY King!"  They serve an earthly king; I serve a heavenly.  They serve a man; I serve God.   They serve someone whose life was dedicated to sensual pleasure; I serve a King whose life was dedicated to brining men redemption and salvation.  They serve a dead king; I serve a Living King. Someday every tongue shall confess and every knee shall bow - not to Elvis - but to Jesus Christ, the Son of God and Savior of the world.

Graceland Mansion may very well be worth taking the time to visit - but I for one will look forward to that time when I don't just visit the Mansion of my dreams, but pack up and move into that Mansion my Lord has prepared for me and for all those who have loved His appearing.   Meanwhile, I think I'll be content to pass by Graceland on my way to my heavenly home.