Would You Preach His Funeral?

by Tom Wacaster

When I lived in Ada, Oklahoma, it was not uncommon for me to get a call from the director of one of the more prominent funeral homes in that city, asking me to preach someone's funeral. In the ten years that I was there I preached more than 200 funerals. The request to do so many funerals was due, in part, to the fact that the director and owner of the funeral home was the husband of one of our members. So, as it turned out, when there was no one to "preach" the funeral, I was called upon to "preach his funeral."

Though the circumstances have changed somewhat through the years, I am still called upon from time to time to preach the funeral of someone with whom I am not the least bit acquainted. Most of the time it is the family member of someone I know. Their loved one did not attend church anywhere, nor were they acquainted with any "man of the cloth" (as they are wont to say). My agreement to "preach the funeral" of such a one derives solely from my acquaintance with a family member or close associate. Some time ago a dear, close sister in Christ called and asked if I would preach at a memorial service for her departed brother. I agreed, and would soon meet with the family to do what I could to sooth aching souls in their loss. As the time for meeting with the family drew near, I pondered the situation. What shall I say? Shall I tell them that their loved one has gone to be with the Lord? This I cannot do, for not only had he never obeyed the gospel, he was not a member of any religious organization. Shall I tell the family that God will comfort them, and watch over them? This I cannot do, for most of them are not Christians, as evidenced from the fact that they had to ask our sister in Christ if she knew of a preacher to conduct the memorial service. Can I tell the family that this departed loved one has left a noble example for them to follow? This I cannot do, since the life he evidently led is not the kind of life that will get a man to heaven. Since I could not speak words of encouragement as to this departed man's spiritual state, I did my best to remind this family that life is short, eternity is sure, and that life's tragedy's should be used as stepping stones to bring us closer to God. I spoke of the frailty of this physical body, the brevity of life, and the reality of an impending judgment. I pointed these things out as kindly as I knew how. But I felt that these things must be said. With the exception of one or two members of that family, I knew that day would be the last time that I would ever see the majority of those who would gather on that solemn occasion to reflect upon the life of their now deceased loved one. So, I preached TO the family, and not ABOUT the deceased. When it comes your time to depart, will there be some preacher with whom you are acquainted who will joyfully, and in full expectation of seeing you again on the other side of the valley of death, speak words of comfort to your family, holding forth the hope that only the child of God can have? That depends upon how you live now. It is recorded in Numbers 23:10 that Balaam cried, "Who can count the dust of Jacob, and the number of the fourth part of Israel? Let me die the death of the righteous, and let by last end be like his." But a man cannot live the life of the wicked, and expect to die the death of the righteous (Galatians 6:7-8). My friend, you cannot live a life in rebellion to God and then expect someone to speak words of hope at your funeral. Why not live a life of submission to Jesus Christ your Lord so that when it comes your time to depart the walks of life and cross that river into eternity, that it can be said of you, "He lived the life of the righteous." Or will you, like untold thousands, simply have someone to "preach your funeral"?